If you have outstanding invoices that cannot be collected, you may want to write them off as uncollectible accounts or bad debts.
Here's how to record unpaid invoices in ZipBooks:
- Login to ZipBooks and select Transactions from the menu.
- Go to your Categories.
- Create a New category with the Parent Sales and call it something like "Uncollected Invoices".
- Return to your transactions list and add a custom transaction by clicking the green + button at the top of your list.
- The transaction amount must be negative amount of the invoice (ex: -$100.00)—this is basically a Reverse Sale transaction.
- Set the "Account" as Accounts Receivable and the Category as "Uncollected Invoices" (sales). Tag the invoice and contact and add any notes as needed.
That's it! This should clear out the AR report. You will see the amount in parenthesis on the Income statement ($100.00), but this will not show in the totals, and it will be on it's own line "Unpaid Invoices", so that should be clear what it is.
You'll also want to archive the invoice (not delete it), so it doesn't show up in your invoice list any longer.