The double entry accounting system is based on debits and credits to categories in your chart of accounts. When you enter a transaction into your ZipBooks account, you generally don’t see the actual debits and credits. But the Advanced View in ZipBooks gives you the chance to specify exactly which accounts are debited and credited when you create a transaction.
Here’s how to enter debits and credits manually using Advanced View:
- Sign in to ZipBooks and select Transactions from the menu.
- Click on the transaction you’d like to edit and then click the Edit or Split button (or click the round green + button to add a new transaction).
- In the Edit Transaction window, click Advanced View in the top right corner.
- Now, rather than just seeing a single transaction, you’ll see which accounts are debited and credited in your transaction. Adjust the debits and credits as needed or click Add Split if you need to debit or credit more than one account.
- You can also add Additional details, including tags, notes and attachments.
- To switch back to the Standard View, click the link in the top right.
- Click Save.
And you’re done. In your financial reports, this transaction will be allocated to the accounts you designated. You can manage debits and credits for any transaction using the Advanced View.