If you connect your bank account to ZipBooks, all your transactions will be imported automatically. We’ll automatically classify those transactions as an Expense (shown in red), Deposit (shown in green), or Transfer (shown in blue).
When you spend money that isn’t automatically entered into your ZipBooks account, you can manually add those transactions easily and seamlessly.
Here’s how to enter an expense transaction:
- Log in to ZipBooks and click on Transactions at the top of the screen.
- Click on the round green ‘+’ button above the top right corner of the list. Four buttons will appear.
- Click on the red Expense button.
- The Add Expense drawer will slide in from the right.
- Fill in the required Transaction Details: Date, Account, Amount and Category.
- Click the Add Split button if you need to divide the expense among multiple categories.
- Add any Additional Details: Expense Name, Tags or Vendor Name, and Notes
- If this expense is billable, put a name in the Pass-through to Customer field.
- Check the Assign to 1099 box to add the expense to a contractor’s 1099.
- Add any Attachments or relevant documents (receipts, etc) by clicking the small green ‘+’ button or drag-and-drop.
- Click the blue Save button.
Now your expense will appear in your list of transactions! If you want to manually enter debits and credits for this expense, you can use the Advanced View link in the top right corner of the drawer screen.
Add sales transactions and deposits in the same way–just click the green deposit button instead.